How to Build a Great Ophthalmology SEO Strategy
In today’s connected world, marketing is ever-evolving, and your ophthalmology practice should be able to adapt. Not only is it essential in getting your brand seen, but also creates authenticity around your practice. With a strategic digital marketing plan in place, you can attract new patients, increase your revenue and grow your practice even further. The possibilities are endless.
When you’re searching for a product or service on Google or other search engines, how often do you go past the first page of results? More often than not, people use the internet to search for information, products, or services. They usually search online before visiting the clinic.
Because there are so many competitors in the industry and in your area, it can be challenging to stand out. The goal for every business is to rank first on search engine results like Google Search. When you rank high on search engines, more patients will find it easier to learn more about your ophthalmology practice.
When your practice doesn’t place high on ranking results, you lose business to other practices in your area. In this blog, you will learn how to develop the right ophthalmology SEO strategy to increase your organic search rankings and turn more website visitors into appointments.
Understand the Importance of SEO for Your Practice
While you can buy ads to be ranked high in search engine results, you can climb up the ranks organically through ophthalmology SEO or search engine optimization. Search engine optimization refers to the process of improving your website to increase its visibility online. With the right SEO optimization tools in place, people will find your practice easily when they’re searching online.
There’s no precise method for search engine optimization success. SEO strategies include keywords, content, meta descriptions, backlinks, online directories, and more. These elements work together for you to climb up the search engine rankings.
Start with a Local SEO Approach
Your goal is to grow your business and attract new patients to your practice. While there’s nothing wrong with thinking big, starting small is usually wiser. This is so you can maximize your resources and make every effort count. Hence, you have to start with your local audience to increase your clientele.
Local search engine optimization or local SEO is essential for your practice to stand out in a specific location. When potential patients look for an ophthalmology clinic, their priority is usually geographical area.
To save on time, effort, and money, people typically opt for a practice near their homes. Convenience plays a huge factor in what business clients will patronize, and that’s why your goal is to attract potential patients in your area. More patients can find your practice on the Google maps section or their search results by optimizing your SEO strategies.
As a start, you can follow the following local SEO strategies:
- Add photos of your clinic on your practice’s website if you want to be known as the top ophthalmology practice in your local area.
- Get reviews from satisfied patients on review sites to boost your local SEO efforts.
- Creating local content using popular search terms in your areas like (city) ophthalmologist or the best ophthalmology clinic in (town) can help your search rankings.
- Updating your business listing on online listings like Google My Business can also help you reach potential customers.
Optimize Your Google My Business (GMB)
Your practice must ensure that all information on business listing websites such as Google My Business is accurate and up-to-date. It would help if you took the time to claim your business listing in online directories. While there are various business directories online, the most popular one is Google My Business.
As a start, you must make sure that your business name, physical address, and office contact number match the information on your Google My Business listing. If your ophthalmology practice has been around for a while, there’s a big chance that you’ve made specific changes on these important details.
These are some of the critical pieces of information you should be on the lookout for in online directories:
- Your physical address. Your potential clients should be able to locate your clinic quickly. If your address is near their office or home, there’s a big chance they’d consider your practice. Hence, you should ensure that your address is complete and updated. This is important, especially if you’ve moved spaces or if the street you’re located in has been renamed recently.
- Hours of operation. Your clients should be aware of what time they can visit your practice. Even if your clinic is open every day of the week, you should specify what time people can come in for consultations. If there are certain days of the week when you’re closed, your audience should be informed accordingly. It’s essential to manage expectations so people know when they can or can’t go to your business for their specific needs.
- Ophthalmology services. Your potential customers should know what services and products you bring to the table. Every client has their own specific needs and expectations. For both parties to manage expectations, you should clarify your scope of work and limitations as an ophthalmology practice. Your prospective patients would know if your practice can meet their specific needs through this.
- A description with relevant keywords. The way you describe your practice can boost your overall online visibility. The strategic use of keywords can help your practice zero in on your expertise. At the same time, this allows you to rank higher in search results.
- Images. You should not only be able to describe your practice, but you should also be able to show it to the world, too. Using high-resolution images legitimizes your business in the online space. People often associate lovely images with professionalism. At the same time, you entice them to visit your clinic because of how attractive your office is.
Use Ophthalmology Keywords to Attract New Patients
The keywords you use on your website, social media, and blogs can make a massive difference to your Google search results ranking. Therefore, it would be best to make it a point to conduct proper research.
You must understand what your clients need and what problems they want to address by visiting an eye care practice. Your content should highlight your services that focus on their particular needs. At the same time, you should focus on what services your practice performs best. To find out which keywords would help you reach your target audience, you can use tools like Google Keyword Planner, Ahrefs, and WordStream.
With so many businesses looking to rank high on search engines, you need to be wise for keywords to increase your web traffic. Using unique yet relevant keywords can help your business rank higher on Google and other search engines. Some sample keywords you can explore include Glaucoma, Low Vision, Contact Fittings, Vision Therapy, Cataracts, and Lasik/ PRK.
Write Compelling Ophthalmology Content on Your Website
Effective SEO highlights your competencies as a company and, at the same time, fortifies your authority in the industry. You should create content that engages your audience and educates them on what your practice can do for them.
As a start, you can zero in on clients’ common concerns when they approach your business. Here are some sample topics you and your team can write about to drive more business to your practice:
- What to Expect From Your LASIK Surgery. Undergoing surgery can be an intimidating endeavor. That is why you should explain the process to them in a friendly way. It would help walk them through the expectations when they undergo the LASIK procedure. This dispels any hesitation they may have about the procedure and gives them assurance that what they’ll go through is safe and regular.
- Lifestyle and Preventative Care. The truth is that most people are unaware of the best practice to give their eyes the best care. You should use your platform to inform them of healthy habits and routines to help and prevent common eye conditions. This type of content displays how much you care about your audience’s welfare and eye health.
- Best Eye Care Health Practices. You can establish your credibility as an eye care expert by providing valuable tips and recommending habits they should adopt for their everyday lives. You encourage more people to take care of themselves better by doing this.
- New Therapies. If your eye care practice offers new services or products, you should develop materials that specifically focus on these items. Introducing your audience to new concepts informs them of the benefits they can gain. When marketing novel concepts to the general public, you must use simple explanations. This is to diffuse the confusion and make people understand what the service can do for them.
When you’re creating content, the general rule is that the more informative and engaging your content is, the higher they rank on search result engines. This increases the visibility of your website on Google and local searches.
At the same time, you should ensure that you use keywords strategically. Your keywords should blend seamlessly with your content. Google sees it when you’re inserting a term but do not consider how the keywords fit into the overall content.
With informative content on your website, more people will trust your practice. This strategy also establishes your expertise in the eye care industry. Trust is crucial for building possible relationships, even in the digital space.
Keep Track of Your SEO Performance
It would help if you didn’t stop at simply optimizing your website. You should track how your SEO strategies have contributed to achieving your business goals. You must be aware of how your efforts are faring. Through this, you would know if your strategies are effective. Consequently, you would know how to pivot your efforts to achieve your goals.
Fortunately, there are plenty of SEO tools you can use to measure the performance of your properly optimized website:
- Google Analytics. This tool can determine which pages on your website are doing well. It also helps you determine if your content has driven visitors to your website. Your goal is to improve your SEO performance gradually, and you should be aware if your SEO efforts are paying off or not.
- Google Search Console. This tool can help you find out how your website is performing. Using this SEO tool, you learn about the number of clicks, impressions, click-through rates, and your average position. This Google product is a great way to determine how your website ranks in search engines.
Implementing these SEO strategies can start your journey to ranking higher on Google search and other search engines. You can attract and engage your audience by building compelling content consistent with your SEO efforts.
Just remember that improving your website performance will take time. You won’t get placed on the first page of Google search results overnight. Developing a solid SEO plan takes time, and consistency is key to increasing your online visibility.
Planning your winning SEO plan will also take time and effort. As a start, you should consider making a list of topics you intend to talk about. This list should consider a list of long-tail keywords, build pages for each topic, and of course, add a blog to your eye practice website. It’s also crucial that you be on top of the latest SEO news and practices to ensure your strategies are updated.
Get Your Free SEO Report
Learn how your practice ranks on Google for terms ophthalmology patients search for, where your business is listed online, and if your information is accurate, see your online ratings and review score, find out how you compare to local eye care competitors, and see what you can do now to optimize your Google My Business. Click here to get your SEO report For more information on incorporating SEO on your ophthalmology website, give us a call at 888.792.8384.