Retargeting: What Is It?

Have you ever been surfing the web and noticed advertisements from sites you have recently visited pop up on the site you are currently on? This is retargeting.
Retargeting is a type of online advertising that allows businesses to market to web users who have previously visited their site. When a visitor lands on your website, a “cookie” is placed on their web browser. This “cookie” follows the user through their online journey and signals the retargeting provider to show your ads on other websites. This strategy is meant to identify potential customers that have shown interest in your practice and bring them back to your site to complete the desired action.

Pixel-Based Retargeting

There are two types of retargeting: pixel-based and list-based. While intended to reach the same goal, each is used a little bit differently based on the audience.
Pixel-based retargeting is used to advertise to anonymous users. You don’t need any information on the potential client other than that they have visited your site for any duration of time.
The upside to this method is that you don’t need the potential customer’s information to advertise to them, but you do know that they have already shown interest in your site. It can also work quickly to retarget your intended audience within the same browsing session. However, this strategy limits you to users that have recently visited your website.

List-Based Retargeting

List-based retargeting campaigns advertise to existing contacts. The email addresses on your contact list are uploaded to your retargeting campaign, which allows the program to find these users on the web. For example, if you are implementing a Facebook retargeting campaign, then Facebook will find users with those email addresses and show your advertisements to only those individuals.
This strategy allows you to segment your lists and customize your campaign to a particular group. If you want former clients to visit again, you can create an ad that specifically targets this audience. If you want to inform current customers of new services or changes in your practice, you can advertise to a different list of people. The possibilities are endless!

Goals of Retargeting

Retargeting can boost brand awareness, increase engagement, and drive conversions. The average conversion rate of online shoppers hovers around 2.5%. The goal of retargeting is to recapture the other 97.5% that navigates away from your webpage without taking action.
Pixel-based retargeting is best used to create recognizability for your business and generate leads. It also may increase engagement on your website or social channels. List-based retargeting has a higher potential for lead conversion because you are better able to encourage a particular action for a specific audience.
These two methods of retargeting can be used in conjunction with one another to create a conversion campaign. Pixel-based retargeting generates leads by placing your advertisements in front of web users that have clicked on your website.
Once you have gathered more information on these interested clicks, you can segment them into lists based on the action you want these individuals to take. Create advertisements that promote a specific action, such as complete a form fill or download educational content. The more behavior-based information you have, the more likely you are to deliver a successful ad.

Looking for more resources to help you learn how to reach your business goals?

Check out these articles!
Should You Focus on SEO or Adwords? How to Leverage Both for Your Business
Lead Conversion Tips: How to Generate and Convert More Leads
5 Ways to Boost Your Brand on Social Media
PGNlbnRlcj48ZGl2IGRhdGEtaWQ9Ijk4ZGQ2MWYzOGQiIGNsYXNzPSJsaXZlY2hhdF9idXR0b24iIG9uY2xpY2s9InBhcmVudC5MQ19BUEkub3Blbl9jaGF0X3dpbmRvdyh7c291cmNlOidtaW5pbWl6ZWQnfSk7IHJldHVybiBmYWxzZSI+PGEgaHJlZj0iIyI+PGltZyBzcmM9Imh0dHBzOi8vaW1hdHJpeC5jb20vd3AtY29udGVudC91cGxvYWRzLzIwMTgvMDUvbGl2ZS1jaGF0LWJsb2ctMS5qcGciIGFsdD0iaU1hdHJpeCBMaXZlQ2hhdCIgd2lkdGg9IjgwMHB4IiBoZWlnaHQ9IjIyNXB4IiBib3JkZXI9IjAiPjwvYT48L2Rpdj48L2NlbnRlcj4=

Let Us Help You Gain And Retain More Ideal Patients

SCHEDULE CONSULTATION COMPARE PLANS
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x